If you are hoping to serve in Cross River state but don’t know whether you can get a good NYSC PPA in the state, then this article is for you.
The NYSC is a period when citizens of Nigeria who are graduates of tertiary institutions, whether in Nigeria or abroad, serve Nigeria.
This service must be in Nigeria, because, during the service, you are not supposed to leave your place of service.
Also, during the service, the Nigerian government assigns you to a Place of Primary Assignment (PPA) where you will serve for one year.
This place could be a school, a hospital, a government or state parastatal, etc.
It is compulsory as a Nigerian Youth to serve the country, especially if you plan on getting a job in Nigeria or working for the Nigerian government.
At the end of the Service, a certificate is given to you, which you can add to your credentials for job applications in Nigeria.
So, if after you NYSC application, you find yourself in Cross River state, I know you would only like to serve in the best PPA in the state.
As a result, this article presents you with a comprehensive list of some of the best NYSC PPA in Cross River state.
Also, you will learn a lot about the state – security issues, how much Cross River state pays corpers and so on.
Let’s start with knowing the condition of Cross River state for NYSC service.
Is Cross River state good for NYSC service?
To judge whether Cross River state is a good state for NYSC, there are a lot of factors we need to consider.
This is because different people have their tastes and criteria for judging whether a state is nice for service or not.
As a result, you will not expect my judgement to be the same as yours.
With that in mind, let’s begin our judgement from the camp.
1. What is the nature of Cross River state NYSC Orientation camp?
The NYSC Permanent Orientation Camp, is located at Obubra, Obubra Local Government Area, Cross River State
Life in the camp, as usual, is fun.
Obubra camp isn’t that bad, but it’s very far!
Even after getting to Obubra, you still have to drive for long to get to the camp.
The good thing is that the location of the camp gives you a very nice view of its environ.
But there are some downsides about the camp anyway.
The major one being the presence of red soil everywhere in the camp.
The red sand makes life miserable because you will have to wash your white shoes almost every time you go out for drills or parade.
Since your white shoes will definitely get dirty, it’s advisable to wear your jungle boots that is easier to clean everyday as compared to washing your white shoes.
Also, be very wary of a particular insect that can bruise your skin when hit.
So it’s best you don’t kill any insect directly on your skin, instead, just flick it away.
As for internet network in the camp, that can be tricky as it only works in particular spots.
Finally, to get water in the camp, there are two options…
You have to either pay the kids around to assist you if you can’t wait for the long queues or you wake early enough to fill your containers.
2. What is the state of infrastructures in Cross River state
Cross River state has very good roads and
the city is very clean.
Let’s say they maintain high standard of environmental hygiene because they have trash bins placed at strategic points for collecting trash.
They also have good drainages by the roadside deep enough to collect waste water and clean enough to allow you to breathe fresh air.
Because of the nature of their roads, there is barely traffic in the state.
In addition, there are many trees planted along the road to beautify the state.
There is also electricity in the state and Internet connectivity is strong.
But what did you expect from the former federal capital territory of Nigeria?
3. What is the cost of living in Cross River state as an NYSC corps member?
The cost of living in Cross River state is amazingly cheap.
Food is very affordable.
Transport to different locations around the state is also very cheap too.
Also, the cost of healthcare services is very affordable.
Finally, the cost of housing in the state is very affordable.
Your N33,800 monthly allowance will go a long way for you in this state considering how affordable most things are in the state.
4. How much does Cross River state government pay NYSC corps members
Cross River state pays NYSC corps members serving in the state a monthly stipend of N5,000 only.
This is the same amount corpers serving in Akwa Ibom and Bayelsa receive.
But considering the cost of living in Cross River state, you will appreciate this money.
As a result, you may regard Cross River state as one of the best states for your NYSC service.
5. Is Cross River state safe for NYSC corps members?
Cross River state is very much safe for NYSC corps members.
Corpers can actually explore the city and visit a lot of ancient sites and even visit the Obudu cattle ranch.
Obudu cattle ranch happens to be one of the most exciting places to visit in the state.
There are still other things to do though.
But the bottoming remains that your safety is assured.
Also, remember you have a role to play in ensuring your safety.
So, do not overlook that and leave loose ends on your part.
List of companies that accept NYSC corps members in Cross River state
Now that we know so much about Cross River state, let’s see the different companies that accept corpers in the state.
There are many good places for your NYSC primary assignment (PPA) in Cross River state, and they cut across several industries.
However, most of the best and government NYSC PPA is located in Cross River state capital, Calabar.
Depending on your field, you can also research on Google for a good PPA in Cross River state.
To help you get started with your research, here is the list of the best NYSC PPA that you can find in Cross River state.
- ACCESS BANK PLC
- AEROCONTRACTORS COMPANY OF NIGERIA LIMITED
- AFRICAN ALLIANCE INSURANCE COMPANY LIMITED
- AIR LlQUIDE NIGERIA PLC
- ALLRAY MARITIME SERVICES LTD
- ALPHA-JURIS CHAMBERS
- AMANA CONSORTIUM LTD
- AMYN INVESTMENTS LTD
- ANCHOR INSURANCE COMPANY LIMITED
- ARAB CONTRACTORS OAO. NIGERIA LIMITED
- ASSOCIATED AVIATION LTD
- ARFO CONSTRUCTION CO. NIG. LTD
- ASSOCIATED BUS COMPANY PLC (ABC Transport)
- ASSOCIATED DATA SYSTEMS LTD
- AVIS NIGERIA (TURTLES CAR SERVICES LTD)
- BA BINGTON ASHA YE & COMPANY
- BAMIS COMPANY LTD
- BANK OF INDUSTRY LIMITED
- BROWNMARK LTD
- CAPITAL EXPRESS INSURANCE COMPANY LIMITED
- CAPITAL EXPRESS SECURITIES LTD
- CASHCRAFT ASSET MANAGEMENT LTD
- CCECC NIGERIA LIMITED
- CHAMPION NEWSPAPERS LTD
- CHANNEL VIEW HOTELS
- CITY-CODE SAVINGS & LOANS LTD
- CITY-CODE TRUST & INVESTMENT CO. LTD
- COMBINA TION INDUSTRIES LTD
- COMPASS SHIPPING NIG. LTD
- CONSOLIDATED PORT & MARINE SERVICES LTD
- CORNERSTONE INSURANCE PLC
- CRUSADER INSURANCE (NIGERIA) PLC
- CRUSHED ROCK INDUSTRIES (NIGERIA) LTD
- DADDO MARITIME SERVICES LTD
- DAMOG NIGERIA LTD
- DAVANDY FINANCE & SECURITIES LTD
- DFS INSURANCE BROKERS LTD
- DIAMOND BANK PLC
- DIVCON ENGINEERING LTD
- DOZZY OIL & GAS LTD
- ECOBANK NIGERIA PLC
- EDO TRANSPORT SERVICE LTD
- EKONDO MICROFINANCE BANK LTD
- EQUITY ASSURANCE PLC
- ETTEH ARO & PARTNERS
- FEDERAL MORTGAGE BANK OF NIGERIA (FMBN)
- FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA PLC
- FIDELITY BANK PLC
- FIRST CITY MONUMENT BANK PLC
- FIRST ROYAL MICROFINANCE BANK LTD
- GENERAL MARINE AND OIL SERVICES LTD
- GERSH HENSHAW & COMPANY
- GLOBAL SCAN SYSTEMS NIGERIA LTD
- GUARANTY TRUST BANK PLC
- HEALTH PARTNERS LTD
- HOGG ROBINSON NIGERIA LIMITED
- HONEYWELL OIL & GAS LTD
- HYUNDAI MOTORS NIGERIA LIMITED
- IHS NIGERIA PLC
- INTEGRATED DAIRY FARMS LTD
- JOE AGI & ASSOCIATES
- JOHN HOLT DISTRIBUTION (VENTURES)
- KANU AGABI & ASSOCIATES
- LASACO ASSURANCE PLC
- LAW UNION & ROCK INSURANCE PLC
- LAWQUEST LTD
- LEADWAY ASSURANCE COMPANY LIMITED
- LEADWAY PENSURE PFA LIMITED
- LEATHER WORLD LTD
- LEKKI ESSENTIAL SERVICES NIG. LTD
- LINKAGE ASSURANCE PLC
- M. SALEH & CO. LTD
- MACMILLAN NIGERIA PUBLISHERS LIMITED
- MAKARIOS LTD
- MARIAN HOTELS LTD
- MARINE GULF SHIPPING AGENCY LTD
- MEGA HILTON HOTELS
- MOTHERCAT LTD
- MULTIMESH COMMUNICATION LTD
- MUTUAL ALLIANCE SAVINGS & LOANS LTD
- N.N. FEMS INDUSTRIES LTD
- NATIONAL CLEARING & FORWARDING AGENCY
- NDOMA-EGBA, EBRI & COMPANY
- NIGERIAN AGRICULTURAL CO-OPERATIVE & RURAL DEVELOPMENT BANK LTD
- NIGERIAN AGRICULTURAL INSURANCE CORPORATION
- NEPAL OIL & GAS SERVICES LTD
- NIGERIAN AVIATION HANDLING COMPANY PLC (NAHCO)
- NIGERIAN EXPORT-IMPORT BANK (NEXIM)
- NIGER MILLS COMPANY LTD
- NIGERIAN LIFE & PROVIDENT COMPANY LIMITED
- NIGERIAN PORTS AUTHORITY (NPA)
- PAMOL (NIGERIA) LIMITED
- PANALPINA WORLD TRANSPORT (NIGERIA) LIMITED
- PROKITCHEN NIG. LTD
- REAL OIL MILLS (NIG.) LTD
- REGENCY ALLIANCE INSURANCE PLC
- SAM UDO-AKAGHA & PARTNERS
- SAMUEL UKPONG & COMPANY
- SECOND ADAMS INTERNATIONAL LTD
- SKYE BANK PLC
- SKYRUN INTERNATIONAL PLC
- SOVEREIGN TRUST INSURANCE PLC
- SPRING MORTGAGE PLC
- STALLION MOTORS LIMITED
- STANBIC IBTC BANK PLC
- STANDARD TOWEL & LINEN INDUSTRIES LTD
- STERLING BANK PLC
- STRATEGIC HEALTH PLANNERS CO. LTD
- STRUCTEC (Div. of Sofitam Nigeria Ltd.)
- S YSTEM METAL INDUSTRIES LTD
- THE HONDA PLACE LIMITED (THP)
- THE MIRAGE HOTEL ., CALABAR
- TOKKE MARITIME SERVICES LTD
- TOTAL HEALTH TRUST LTD
- TRANSGLOBAL INSURANCE BROKERS LTD
- TRANSWORLD OIL & GAS CO. LTD
- UNICAL MICROFINANCE BANK LTD
- UNIC ENT SHIPPING CO. LTD
- UNI -CHARTERED INSURANCE BROKERS LTD
- UNION ASSURANCE COMPANY LIMITED
- UNION BANK OF NIGERIA PLC
- UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA PLC
- UNION FOREST INDUSTRIES CFTZ
- UNION REGISTRARS LIMITED
- UNITED CEMENT COMPANY OF NIG. LTD
- UNIVERSAL FURNITURE LTD
- VALUE MART LTD
- VDT COMMUNICATIONS LTD
- VIRGIN NIGERIA AIRWAYS LIMITED
- WEMA BANK PLC
- WISE HEALTH SERVICES LTD
- XEROX H.S. (NIG.) LTD
- YAMAHA/ALMARINE (Div. of John Holt Plc)
- ZENITH BANK PLC
- ZINOX TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED
What do companies look for when accepting corpers serving in Cross River state?
The process of hiring for many companies does not change because you are a corps member.
Although they will cut you some slack, that does not mean they will overlook everything else.
The first thing most companies look out for is your academic qualification.
With a first-class or a second class upper result, you will automatically become a hot cake ready for hire.
But it will do you much good is your course of study tallies with what the available position in the company.
For instance, a person who studied financial accounting and graduated with a good result will be preferable in a bank or accounting department of a firm
There are other requirements, and they are mostly soft skills. They include;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to use a computer well
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good morals
If you have any other certification or qualities that will be enticing to your employer, then add them in your application.
How to get the Best PPA to accept you during your NYSC service in Cross River state
Cross River state NYSC will give you a posting letter to a predetermined PPA within the state.
Although, I have witnessed cases where those who have issues may choose to relocate to a new PPA.
Normally, NYSC does not encourage relocations away from your PPA, so make sure you read the NYSC rules and regulations to make sure you do not default.
Some of the challenges for which NYSC will accept your request to relocate to another PPA or away from an LGA is if you have a physical disability, illness, security or accommodation problem.
If you have any of the aforementioned issues, they may honour your request to relocate.
To get through the best NYSC PPA of your choice in Cross River state, you have to write an application letter to them.
In your letter, you have to state that you are a corper and then mention other reasons why they should hire you.
Make sure you submit your application alongside photocopies of necessary documents including your credentials, results and certificates.
If the company accepts you, you will have to collect a request letter from them which you will present to NYSC as an alternative for the previous PPA.
Note that the current PPA you are trying to move away from must reject you before you present the request letter.
It will take some days up to two weeks before your new PPA will reflect on your NYSC portal.
Summary of the best PPA for services in Cross River state
Your service year is an avenue to make good connections, gain exposure and learn from other cultures.
So, if you happen to be posted to Cross River state, it will do you good to explore the state as much as you can.
But the best thing you can do for yourself is to make sure you get a good PPA in Cross River state for your NYSC service.
Getting a good PPA will put you in a place where you will get better exposure and also make more money.
In the end, you may be retained in the company depending on your performance, and I believe you will like to be retained in a good company.
Remember not to limit yourself and explore all available options.
Good luck in your service year.
- 10 Best NYSC States and How They Treat Corpers
- Best NYSC PPA in Borno State that Accepts Corps Members 
- Best NYSC PPA in Enugu State that Accepts Corps Members 
- Best NYSC PPA in Imo State that Accepts Corps Members 
- Best NYSC PPA in Jigawa State that Accepts Corps Members 
- Best NYSC PPA in Gombe State that Accepts Corps Members 
- Best NYSC PPA in Kaduna State that Accepts Corps Members 
- Best NYSC PPA in FCT Abuja that Accepts Corps Members 
- Best NYSC PPA in Kano State that Accepts Corps Members