This is a detailed article on all you need to know about the University of Calgary. You will discover the tuition cost, requirements and rankings. Being one of the most prestigious in Canada, it attracts a lot of students hoping to do a Master’s program in Canada.
I’m sure you will find answers to questions you seek in this 5 minutes read. Welcome aboard Scholar!!!
Formerly Known As: Calgary branch of the University of Alberta
Motto as Translated in English: I will lift up my eyes
School Type: Public
Research Output: Very High
Year of Establishment: 26 April 1966 (54 years ago)
Strength of Staff: Academic 1,848, Administrative 3,116
Number of Students: 31,950 (Undergraduates 25,855, Postgraduates 6,096)
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Affiliations: ACU, AUCC, CARL, IAU, U15, U Sports, CWUAA, CUSID, CBIE
School Website: www.ucalgary.ca
Located in Calgary, UCalgary as it commonly called is a public research university first founded in 1944. Formerly a branch of the University of Alberta, UCalgary separated as an independent autonomous institution in 1966. The University has 14 faculties, over 85 research institutes and centres and 55 departments. The main campus which is the Downtown Calgary houses most of the research facilities and works. It covers approximately 200 hectares (490 acres).
UCalgary is a member of the U15, making it one of Canada’s top research universities (based on the number of Canada Research Chairs). In other words, if you’re a research enthusiast, then the University of Calgary is your sure bet.
University of Calgary Rankings 2021
Always leading at the forefront of research, UCalgary comes tops in world university rankings. However, its courses also stand out in course rankings. Here are a few of UCalgary rankings in 2021;
- 151-200th in ARWU (Shanghai Ranking) 2020
- 246th in World University Ranking, QS 2021
- 200th in THE (Times Higher Education) 2021
- 174th in Global Universities (US News & World Report 2021)
What Programs do they offer in UCalgary?
Peculiar to the University of Calgary, the university offers 250 programs in post-secondary education. Majorly, UCalgary awards bachelors, masters, and doctorate (PhD) degrees. Over the years, the UCalgary has developed a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs. There are over 93 UG Programs, 50 PG Programs and 8 Doctorate Programs. This is a great option for Masters Program in Canada.
What Courses do they offer at the University of Calgary?
Naming the courses offered in UCalgary will be tedious. However, we have outlined the faculties below to streamline your search. Here are the faculties that make up the University of Calgary;.
- Faculty of Law
- The Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Science
- The Facultyof Nursing
- Faculty of Kinesiology
- The of Social Work
- Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Cumming School of Medicine
- Haskayne School of Business
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Werklund School of Education
- Schulich School of Engineering
- School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape (SAPL)
What are the Requirements Needed to Get Into UCalgary?
Depending on the program you want to run in UCalgary, the requirements will differ. However, these are the basic requirements for international students.
These are the undergraduate requirements;
- A personal essay
- Health Certificate
- SAT Score (recommended)
- Letter of Recommendation
- Complete the online application.
- Financial/sponsorship documents.
- Certified copy of the current Passport
- Submission of all official transcripts translated in English.
- A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or equivalent (80%)
- Official transcripts and certificates with evaluation reports(translated in English).
- A writing sample.
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Test scores of standardized tests.
- Letter of Recommendations (2 or 3)
- Proof of English Proficiency Requirements.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 point system or equivalent
- Submission of all official transcripts translated in English.
- A research proposal (for thesis-based Master’s programs)
- A four-year baccalaureate degree or equivalent in a relevant field of study.
Application attracts an application Fee of 110 USD. You should do all registration at Official Application Portal.
Does the University of Calgary Offer Scholarships?
Yes, the University of Calgary offers scholarships to both residents and International Students from all levels and programs. This extends to awards, grants, and fellowship programs. Here are a few of them which you can apply for;
- Project Hero scholarship
- Alexander Rutherford’s Scholarship
- Schulich Leader Scholarships program
- O’Brien Centre Continuing Scholarship
- Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarships
- University of Calgary International Entrance Award
- University of Calgary International Entrance Scholarship
- Alberta Innovates Graduate Student Scholarships (Computer & Chemistry)
- Alberta Innovates Graduate Student Scholarships (Faculty of Arts & Engineering)
Note: The amount differs with each scholarship opportunity. Also, terms and conditions apply.
Frequently Asked Questions About the University of Calgary
What’s the Acceptance Rate for UCalgary?
Contrary to popular opinion, the University of Calgary have low acceptance rate. The institute is a highly selective when accepting students. It has an acceptance rate of merely 10 to 20%. This means you have to be real good to make it to UCalgary.
What’s the Cost of Studying in the University of Calgary?
Tuition fees at UCalgary depends on the program and course of study. However, the average tuition fees for undergraduates 16642 USD and 13386 USD for Postgraduate.
What’s the GPA requirements for UCalgary Admission?
PG applicants must have a GPA 3.0 on scale of 4.0 (Grade B/percentile: 83-86)
What’s the Application Deadline for the University of Calgary?
The application deadline for admission into the University of Calgary is August 1 each year. However, it can differ regarding program.
Do I Need IELTS to get into UCalgary?
Yes, the major language instruction is English. Therefore, applicants must show proof of English language proficiency via any of the acceptable proficiency test. They require applicants to ace their IELTS at a 7.5, PTE at 75 and TOEFL at 103.
How Long Does it Take to Get Admitted in the University of Calgary?
At the University of Calgary, they usually declare the admission decision within 10-12 weeks after the application submission.
Is UCalgary the Best Option in Canada?
Although not the very best option in Canada, but it’s definitely not the worst. However, it is definitely in the top 6 research universities in Canada and if you don’t get into the top 5, then you may accept the University of Calgary with a little pinch of salt.
Just in case you didn’t make to UCalgary, you can check out other universities in Canada such as the University of Toronto, University of Waterloo and a host of others. We hope you found this piece enlightening. Do share with friends and family.