If you’ve ever heard of the company founded by the Harvard dropout, it’s Microsoft Corporation. Sounds familiar right? Do you want to work with Bill Gates? Do you seek information on how to apply to this firm? What does it take for them to employ you? You will find answers these questions and more. However, it’s expedient you know that the firm does not just employ anyone. Here’s a tip of the iceberg, your employability skills and improved work performance will likely get you a spot in the company. Discover more below!!!
Microsoft at a Glance
Since its inception in 1975, Microsoft has stood the test of time when it comes to software products. The firm is an American multinational technological company with focus on software product development. In the U.S information technology industry, the firm is reckoned one of the Big Five companies. The other four include Google, Apple, Amazon, and Facebook. In 2020, the U.S corporation ranked the firm 21 in Fortune 500 rankings by total revenue. Also, in 2016, it was the world’s largest software maker. Also, in the 2019 Vault Rankings, the corporation ranked No. 1: Best Software & Computer Services Companies.
With headquarters in Redmond, Washington, U.S., the company has influence in 170 countries. Research has it that the firm boasts of 144,000 passionate employees in different countries. Its research labs are in Cambridge, England; Beijing, China; Bengaluru, India; Cambridge, Massachusetts; New York, New York; and Montreal, Canada.
Although the firm has few subsidiaries, it’s impact is felt worldwide. Also, the subsidiaries include; LinkedIn, Skype Technologies and GitHub. Your guess is as good as mine!!! Find out more about the company via the company’s official website @ http://www.microsoft.com
What is the Firm: Microsoft Known For?
Although the firm has focus on software development, it has other productions. The corporation is also known to produce computer software, consumer electronics and personal computers. Also, the firm is into cloud computing, social networking services and video games production. Its groundbreaking software product is the Windows operating systems, Office suite, Internet Explorer and Edge web browsers. When it comes to hardware products, Xbox video game consoles and the Microsoft Surface lineup of touchscreen personal computers are her best.
Examples of Microsoft Products and Services
Windows Office, Servers, Skype, Visual Studio, Dynamics, Xbox, Surface and Mobile
Azure, Bing, LinkedIn, Yammer, MSDN, Office 365, OneDrive, Outlook.com, GitHub, TechNet, Pay, Microsoft Store, Windows Update, Xbox Game Pass and Xbox network
Frequently Asked Questions About Microsoft Corporation
Why Should I Work with Microsoft Corporation?
Most employers tend to ask this question. I bet it’s very necessary. Even though the firm is a multinational company with the big name just like IBM, ExxonMobil and Unilever doesn’t make it a great place to work. However, depending on what you’re looking for, Microsoft might just be the place for you. According to comments on Glassdoor, Quora, and other sources, here are the best reasons to work with Microsoft;
- Great salary and benefits. Employees expect a 4.4 stars out of 5 when it comes to benefits. Discover the salary structure below.
- There is diversity in the work you can do. What this means is that you will often move from team to team. Many say it expands their techincal horizon and creativity.
- You get to be part of big innovations and products used by everyone.
- Employees tend to learn cultural balance. This is so because of the you get to work with people from different country and culture.
- Rather than competition and glory grabbing, the firm encourages teamwork and collaboration.
- Microsoft ensures the work environment is stress-free and fun.
- Also, employees go on tours and travels. Courtesy of the company.
- Good work environment and many opportunities to work on latest technology
- Working with the firm gives former employees strong résumé presence. Just imagine you were a former Microsoft employee seeking job in another firm. Immediate employment, right!!!
- Microsoft has a well-earned reputation as a top employer and top firm in its field.
Amidst these good reviews, here’s the downer: there’s heightened office politics and big company bureaucracy at the company.
How Much Does the Firm Pay her Staff?
For a multinational company, it’s expected that Microsoft be on the high salary paying scale. According to data from Glassdoor, here is a list of salaries at Microsoft.
- Service engineer: $113,310
- Software development engineer 1: $114,585
- Escalation engineer: $148,099
- Snr. software development engineer: $176,459
- Senior researcher: $282,710
- Senior director: $314,522
- Creative director: $194,190
- Human resources director: $237,934
- Software architect: $262,286
- Director of business operations: $268,639
- Principal group program manager: $271,582
- Senior director marketing: $342,436
- Engineering Director: $347,210
- Director of development: $432,961
- General manager: $457,382
Kindly note that this is an average salary structure. Now depending on your location, the salary will vary. However, wherever you are Microsoft uses almost the same salary payment check list.
How Do I Get a Job with Microsoft?
The best way to get job with Microsoft is by recommendation. However, if you don’t have a link in the firm already, you have to apply. To apply,
- Visit Microsoft’s profile for graduate employees and for internship
- Then identify your job of interest via the current vacancies
- Also, click the “Apply Now” button on the job listing page. This will redirect you to read specific instructions on how to apply and what to include in your application.
- Once this is done, you will fill a form and create your Microsoft profile.
- Then submit.
Your application will be reviewed by a Microsoft recruiter. If you’re a fit for the position, that recruiter will be in touch. However Microsoft says “If you’re not contacted for the job you applied for, your information will go into our recruiter’s shared candidate database. This means you may be contacted for other opportunities within Microsoft at a later date,”
Microsoft—the technology giant—has an impressive record in innovation. Therefore, start your journey of becoming a part of them. Good luck!!!