Having an insatiable craving for fish’ n’ chips, tea and drizzle is one way to know you want to study in UK. This piece elaborately explains all you need to know about Masters program in UK. However, it’s worthy of note that masters programs in UK don’t come cheap. Consequently, you will find out about the cost and scholarships for international students. Also, we have answered all questions that plague your mind about this subject.
Ideal for those who want to study a particular subject in greater detail, a Masters degree program in UK can improve your employability. However, you could consider other destinations such as Germany, Canada, Denmark,.
It’s going to be an educative ride. Welcome Aboard!!!
What You Need to Know About UK
Comprising four nations: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, UK is one of the top 10 study abroad destination. According to statistics, UK welcomes over 430,000 international students each year.
It’s no news that the United Kingdom’s higher education system is world famous. UK has a long and proud history of academic excellence. Invariably, this is the reason a masters program in UK is a popular choice for people from across the globe. Also, UK has a great number of renowned universities which tops in university rankings all over the world.
On the contrary, UK education doesn’t come cheap. Consequently, students lookout for scholarships and similar funding opportunities for masters program. Although, this makes funding extremely competitive.
However, aside from its educational quality, UK is a “no dull town”. Characterized by great geography, bustling cities and picturesque countryside, there is a surety of good living. Therefore, we advise you consider the cost of living in UK for international students.
Why Should I Do My Masters Degree Program in UK?
Known for excellence, quality and high standards, UK is a great location to do a masters Program. Moreover, because of the level of development and advancement, UK education system provides scholars an opportunity to study with quality resources and equipment.
Here are some top reasons a masters degree program in UK is worth it;
- The UK is a home to world-class universities.
- UK degrees are Internationally recognised and globally respected.
- Peculiar to EU nationals, Masters students can apply for Postgraduate loans.
- There’s an opportunity to learn the British culture via the availability of Cultural institutions.
- Availability of funding opportunities, e.g. Chevening and Commonwealth Scholarships.
Top 10 Universities in UK for Masters Program in 2021
Like earlier stated, UK is a home to world-class universities. However, this doesn’t mean we recommend all for application. Here’s a list of top 10 Universities for masters degree program in UK;
- The University of Bristol
- University of Oxford
- The University of Warwick
- King’s College, London
- University of Edinburgh
- The University of Cambridge
- Imperial College, London
- University of Manchester
- UCL: University College London
- London School of Economics and Political Science
We do not limit the best universities for MSc in UK to these few. We base this on the latest Times Higher Education, World University Rankings, QS World University Rankings and Academic Ranking of World Universities.
How much does a Masters Degree cost in the UK?
Without mincing words, British universities are expensive. However, tuition fees depends on the university, location in UK and your nationality. British or EU nationals pay less. If you don’t fall into either of those categories, you are an international student and higher overseas rate apply.
Masters in UK for British and EU nationals cost £7,946 – £18,624 whereas overseas range between £15,097 – £20,494.
Does UK offer Scholarships to Masters Students?
Yes, there are a variety of scholarship opportunities for Masters Program in UK. They include;
- Euraxess UK
- Marshall Scholarship
- CastleSmart Scholarship
- The Royal Society Grants
- Sussex Graduate Scholarship
- British Chevening Scholarships.
- Sussex Bangladesh Scholarships
- Chancellor’s Masters Scholarships
- Surfshark Privacy and Security Scholarship
- The Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme at UK Universities
- Commonwealth Scholarships for Developing Commonwealth Countries
However, you can check other funding opportunities such as
- Postgraduate loans
- Charities and trusts
- UK Government funding through schemes like Chevening Scholarships
Terms and Conditions Apply. Visit their website for more details on how to apply!!!
What are the Requirements Needed to Apply For MSc in UK?
You will need to submit the following documents to apply for a masters degree program in UK;
- Application form
- Personal statement
- Academic cover letter
- English language test results
- Graduate entry test (If required)
- Professional/Academic references
- £348 application fee for a student visa
- Certified copies of your degree and academic transcripts
- Postgraduate interview either in person or via Skype (If required)
- Research proposal (if you’re applying for a research Masters like a MPhil or MRes)
Once you make a choice of university, check out their own requirements for clarification and accuracy.
Frequently Asked Questions About MSc in UK
How Long is an MSc Program in UK?
Masters Program in UK is a 1 to 2-years full-time degree. However, part-time degrees last for 3 years.
Can I Work while Doing my Masters Program in UK?
Yes, you can work while studying in UK. However, this is peculiar to students who hold a student visa. In addition, you can work in the UK for 20 hours a week during term time and an unrestricted number of hours during the holidays. However, there are certain types of job you can’t do. Verify from institution once you’re settled.
Do I Need a Student Visa to do Masters Program in UK?
Yes, you need a student visa in UK to pursue a full-time degree. It is valid for the entire duration of the study with additional six months. Meanwhile, International students should apply for this visa at least 3 months prior to the commencement of studies. Documents required are:
- Copy of passport
- Proof of financial stability
- Sponsorship from the university
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
- Apply at the immigration consular post in your country.
Do I Need IELTS for Masters Program in UK?
They require IELTS or any other English Language Proficiency.